- Glendale Unified School District - Glendale, California USA
- Public Information Office
Glendale Unified Reaches Agreement with Glendale Teachers Association on MOU for COVID-19 Safety Measures
On Monday, September 20, Glendale Unified School District and Glendale Teachers Association reached a tentative agreement on a memorandum of understanding (MOU) related to the effects of returning to full in-person instruction while mitigating the impacts of COVID-19 during the 2021-22 school year.
- Masks are required at all Glendale Unified school and district facilities indoors at all times and outdoors when physical distancing is a challenge, including during morning drop off, dismissal, drills, and other special events. Outdoor masking is strongly encouraged but optional outdoors at all other times.
- Weekly COVID-19 screening testing is strongly encouraged for all students and employees, regardless of vaccination status. Weekly testing is required for all unvaccinated employees (employees must show proof of full vaccination by November 1). The District will ensure all students are either opted in or opted out of weekly testing. To date, approximately 3,800 students have opted in and 3,565 have opted out.
- Parent and community volunteers must provide proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test taken within 48 hours before entering campus.
- Should a unit member need to quarantine due to COVID-19 illness or exposure or to care for a family member who is quarantined, the unit member should utilize time available from the COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave Bank. Should the Sick Leave Bank not be extended by legislators, the District will provide up to seven days of supplemental paid sick leave.
The tentative MOU must be ratified by GTA membership and approved by the Glendale Unified Board of Education. Once approved, the MOU will remain in effect until June 14, 2022. Should the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health adjust guidelines for K-12 schools to become less restrictive than any item in the MOU, Glendale Unified and GTA will come together and reach an agreement within 14 calendar days (excluding Thanksgiving Break and Spring Break) after written notification regarding how to adjust District protocols. If the parties cannot reach an agreement within those 14 days, the District may exercise its discretion in adjusting its protocols to align with the current LACDPH protocols and guidelines.
Glendale Unified is committed to providing a safe learning and working environment for all students and employees. Learn more about current Glendale Unified COVID-19 health and safety measures at www.gusd.net/COVID19.