- Glendale Unified School District - Glendale, California USA
- Bargaining Updates
- Human Resources
- Employee Labor Relations Update
- Personnel Commission
- Work for us
- Bargaining Updates
- Certificated Employment
- GUSD Certificated Evaluations Resources
- Classified Employment
September 9, 2021: GTA Negotiations Update
On Thursday, September 9, Glendale Unified school and district leaders met with members of the Glendale Teachers Association (GTA) bargaining team. During the meeting, GTA presented a counter to the proposed memorandum of understanding (MOU) related to COVID-19 health and safety measures and proposed a second MOU related to impacts the District’s Continuity of Learning Plan for Quarantined Students may have on unit members’ working conditions.
Glendale Unified will submit a counter to GTA’s proposal taking into account the potential impact on students’ academic, social emotional, and physical wellbeing as well as the District’s fiscal health. The next bargaining session is scheduled for Monday, September 20.
GTA Proposed Updates to COVID-19 Health and Safety Measures
|Issue||Current Measures Implemented by Glendale Unified School District||GTA Proposed Update|
|Outdoor Masking||Masks are required outdoors for students and employees when physical distancing is a challenge, including during dismissal, drills, and other special events. Outdoor masking is strongly encouraged but optional outdoors at all other times.||Outdoor masking be required when classes or cohorts are intermixed, including during recess and passing periods.|
|Weekly COVID-19 Screening Testing||Weekly testing is strongly encouraged for all students and employees, regardless of vaccination status. Weekly testing is required for all unvaccinated employees (employees must show proof of full vaccination by November 1). To date, approximately 3,740 students have opted in and 3,565 have opted out of weekly testing.||Requirement that all Glendale Unified families either opt in or opt out of weekly testing.|
|COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave||Should the COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave Bank not be extended by legislators, Glendale Unified will provide up to five days of supplemental paid sick leave should a unit member need to quarantine due to COVID-19 illness or exposure or to care for a family member who is quarantined.||Requirement that all Glendale Unified families either opt in or opt out of weekly testing.|
GTA New Quarantine MOU Demands:
- Compensation at 1.5 times the hourly rate of pay for each class/period that teachers provide instruction to students in quarantine.
- Option for teachers to receive additional compensation at their hourly rate of pay to hold office hours or other sessions with students outside of instructional time, including during prep periods, in addition to or in lieu of providing virtual or hybrid instruction.
- One pupil-free planning day for teachers who must pivot to full-class quarantine. Additional adult support staff in the classroom for teachers who must pivot to partial-class quarantine.
- Additional compensation for bargaining unit members, including counselors and nurses, for services provided to quarantined students during contractual hours.
- Additional 15 hours of professional development for teachers who taught in Glendale Unified last year and 30 hours for those who did not teach in Glendale Unified last year at the hourly rate of pay to learn how to teach in a short-term virtual or concurrent instructional model.