Community Service 2021-2022
Due to COVID restrictions the community service hours have been adjusted for each award.
Tornado Community Service Award
Student safety is our top priority, due to COVID-19 and closures, we have reduced the number of hours needed this year to earn the Tornado Community Service Award. This year if you complete a minimum of 25 hours of community service within one academic school year (from April 2021-April 2022) you can earn the award. You must apply and turn in documentation of hours to receive this award. A log to track hours can be printed online. You need to have documentation (virtual signatures and phone number) for all hours logged. Students who qualify for this award receive a pin and a certificate. Pins are awarded based on how many hours you complete. The application and logs will be due April 8, 2022. Students can earn a total of 4 pins if they apply every year.
25-50 hours earns a Bronze pin
51-100 hours earns a Silver pin
101 hours or more earns a Gold pin
CONTINUING AGAIN THIS YEAR! Tornado Community Service Award, Essay, Earn a bronze Pin
If you are not able to accumulate 25 hours of community service because of COVID we still want you to have an opportunity to earn an award. Complete three community service events/ activities and write a one page (500 words) essay explaining why they were meaningful to you. Complete the community service events between April 2021-April 2022. The essay will be due on April 8,2022. If you submit an essay you will earn a bronze pin and a certificate.
How to Earn Community Service Hours @ HHS:
- Work with Mrs. Rogers (firstname.lastname@example.org) and tutor Hoover students virtually
- Attend Zoom TUPE meetings with Mrs. Brownstein (Gbrownstein@gusd.net)
- Attend Zoom City of Glendale presentations (Info posted on counselors google classroom)
- Attend PTA Meetings (email@example.com)
- Environmental Club Recycling Project (Info posted on Tornado Instagram)
- Check HHS social media for volunteer opportunities
How to Earn Community Service Hours in the Community
- Volunteer at an animal shelter or dog rescue,
- Join a beach clean up
- Give Blood (redcross.org)
- Donate food/treats to animal shelters. Be sure to contact shelter ahead of time to ask what is needed/allowed.
- Donate non-perishable food items to shelters.
- Check if Meals on Wheels is accepting volunteers
2. The Hoover Volunteer Medal
Due to COVID requirements for the Class of 2022 have been adjusted.
This is an award that can be earned only in your senior year. Applications for this award are due April 8, 2022 you may print an application online on the HHS counseling webpage in April .
To earn this award students must:
- A. Complete a total of 100 hours between 9th and 12th grade. It is required that 25 hours be completed at each grade level. In April when you fill out the application if you do not submit documentation for hours earned at every grade level you will not be eligible for the medal. Students are responsible for keeping records and copies of all hours submitted every year.
AND in your senior year
- B. Participate in 2 Hoover specific volunteer activities.These are to be selected from the following list. Events may vary from year to year so please check with the club/advisor to see if they will be happening for the current year. Make sure you get the adult in charge of the event to sign your volunteer log, other students cannot sign off on the event! Email Mrs.Gonzales if an event you would like to participate in is not on the list
Back to school night in Sept
Relay for Life team member/ participant 5 hours minimum
Relay for Life sponsor of Hoover team members ($3 minimum)
A variety of athletic events throughout the year (see Mr. Van Patten)
Eyeglass collection (3 pairs minimum) October
ASB Food Drive in November
Hoover Blood drive offered several times a year
Hoover Tour of Homes in December
Pennies for patients in the Spring (300 pennies)
Festival of Learning in the Spring
Taste of Glendale in the Spring
Volunteer for HHS PTA events throughout the year
NHS (National Honor Society) Collection
Attend 7 TUPE (tobacco use prevention education) lunch meetings (Email Mrs. Brownstein Gbrownstein@gusd.net)← click on links to the left to get information about specific volunteer opportunities.