Dual Immersion Resources
This list of resources for your dual immersion student will help you support your language learning beyond the classroom. Please click on the language for books, tv shows, podcasts, and more.
This presentation from a researcher who visited a Franklin PTA meeting to speak about dual immersion is packed with information. Parents and guardians of dual immersion students may also want to understand the Guiding Principles for Dual Language Education from the Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL) and this blog about Bilingual Language Development.
How to use these suggested language resources:
Choose ONE app, ONE podcast, and ONE TV show your child likes. Use each source once per week. This is a great habit to establish all year round!
Avoid Google Translate.
Instead, try Wordreference if your child needs to look up words. Google Translate is machine-generated and often inaccurate. Wordreference provides definitions and example sentences for context with each word, including parts of speech. It also has a verb conjugator and grammar section for older students.
- GUSD Flag Dual Language Immersion Resources
- Audible.com: free audio stories in multiple languages
- Audio Lingua: free site with audiobooks
- ManyBooks: lots of e-books, free.
- Whoo's Reading: our librarian (Ms. Robinson) has a fabulous website!
- Glendale Library Arts and Culture and Los Angeles Public Library
- Recommended Books in Spanish K-6. A standards-based publication listing 316 Spanish titles hand selected by Two-Way Immersion teachers at each grade level.
Dual Immersion in the News
- Advocates Seek More Focus on Learning Foreign Languages
- Your Mind On Language: How Bilingualism Boosts Your Brain
- Bilingual Learning – The Science, Options and Dilemma of Dual Language Education
- Franklin Elementary welcomes consuls from Germany and Austria to witness its immersion program
- "La Doppia Vita," article written by Franklin parent, Simona Montanari, for Language Magazine.
- Italian official: Dual-language program is looking molto bene – October 24, 2012
- Italy consul general stops by Glendale school – May 29, 2012.
- NY Times Article: Why Bilinguals Are Smarter?