This list of resources for your dual immersion student will help you support your language learning beyond the classroom.
Please click on the language for books, tv shows, podcasts, and more.
How to use these suggested language resources:
Choose ONE app, ONE podcast, and ONE TV show your child likes.
Use each source once per week. This is a great habit to establish all year round!
Resources for all target languages
Avoid Google Translate.
Instead, try Wordreference if your child needs to look up words. Google Translate is machine-generated and often inaccurate. Wordreference provides definitions and example sentences for context with each word, including parts of speech. It also has a verb conjugator and grammar section.
- Guiding Principles for Dual Language Education, available free at on the Center for Applied Linguistic (CAL) website at http://www.cal.org/twi/guidingprinciples.htm
- Evaluator’s Toolkit for Dual Language Programs, available free at http://www.cal.org/twi/EvalToolkit/
- Recommended Books in Spanish K-6. A standards-based publication listing 316 Spanish titles hand selected by Two-Way Immersion teachers at each grade level. For ordering information go to: http://store.sdcoe.net
- NY Times Article: Why Bilinguals Are Smarter? http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/opinion/sunday/the-benefits-of-bilingualism.html?_r=1&emc=eta1
- WSJ Article: the Bilingual Brain is Sharper and More Focused, Study Says. http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2012/04/30/the-bilingual-brain-is-sharper-and-more-focused-study-says/tab/print/
- Advocates Seek More Focus on Learning Foreign Languages
- Your Mind On Language: How Bilingualism Boosts Your Brain
- Bilingual Learning – The Science, Options and Dilemma of Dual Language Education
- Diplomats visit dual-language classes, December 14, 2012. Franklin Elementary welcomes consuls from Germany and Austria to witness its immersion program
- La Doppia Vita. This is a new article written by our own Franklin parent, Simona Montanari, for Language Magazine.
- Italian official: Dual-language program is looking molto bene – October 24, 2012
- Italy consul general stops by Glendale school – May 29, 2012.