Phone: Please do not leave a phone message, as messages are not checked at this time.
Degrees and Certifications:
Dr. David Platt
Welcome to Dr. Platt's page
March 30, 2020
As you are aware, you had an extended spring break last week, and this week we are back to schoolwork. Some things are going to be the same, and others are going to be different. You’ll probably have lots of questions, and I won’t know as many of the answers as I usually like to. I’ll start by telling you some things I do know.
- This week is officially for review and enrichment. What that means for physics is that I will give you some assignments, but they are optional and will not cover any new material that you have not seen before.
- My focus during this “review and enrichment” week is on contact more than content. What that means is that I want to ensure we know how to communicate with each other: not just e-mail, but also Google Classroom and, for the AP classes, AP Classroom.
- Next week (starting Monday, April 6th and continuing at least until May 5th), we will continue to do school via distance. At that time, there will be more formal assignments. This work will continue to deepen your understanding of physics.
- From here on out, you will have an opportunity to do schoolwork to raise your physics grade, but if for some reason you are not able to complete the work, your physics grade will not go down.
- All your teachers worked very hard last week learning new things, and we are excited to share them with you. Many of the things we learned you already know, as you have impressive technology skills. As we always do, we teachers will be learning from you, just as you learn from us. We continue to be a learning community.
There are also some things we do not know.
- We do not know when, or if, we will return to my classroom this school year.
- We do not know exactly what the lessons and assignments will look like starting next week. I will let you know as the week progresses and we begin to connect on Google Classroom.
Here is how we are going to start.
- Please ensure that you are signed in to Google Classroom in the correct period. If you need help with this, please send me an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Later this morning, I will post an assignment. It will be very easy, as the purpose of the assignment is to let me know this form of communication works for us.
- Tomorrow, I will post an assignment that has more physics content. For period 6, this assignment reviews an important topic from last semester that we will use again next week when we begin new content. For periods 1-5, it will be an assignment related to the upcoming AP Physics tests.
I hope you have a great day!