Visitors and Volunteers
All visitors and volunteers are required to check in at the school office when arriving on campus between the hours of 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. A visitor’s pass must be clearly displayed and worn at all times while on campus. Please make an appointment with the teacher and the principal to visit a classroom for up to twenty (20) minutes. Visitors may be accompanied by a staff person while observing/visiting. Muir encourages volunteers to be an active part in the school. Volunteers help in classrooms, the library, computer lab and work directly with children. Please be informed that ALL volunteers must have a TB test on file in the office and go through an orientation with me before making arrangements to volunteer on campus. This includes parents who are interested and would like to chaperone on field trips. After providing TB verification and completing the Parent Volunteer Orientation, volunteers may reach out to teachers and make arrangements for the volunteer services.
Volunteers shall act in accordance with District policies, and school rules. For more information please visit GUSD website https://www.gusd.net/cms/lib/CA01000648/Centricity/Shared/AR_BP_FOLDER/BP-1240-VolunteerAsst.pdf
Parent Volunteer Guidelines
According to GUSD Board Policy 1240 Volunteers shall act in accordance with District policies, regulations and school rules.
- All volunteers are required to sign in at the front office upon arrival and sign out when leaving.
- All volunteers must wear a visible John Muir office issued identification badge.
- All volunteers must remain in their assigned work areas at all times.
- Please do not go to the classrooms or the playground unless you have made prior arrangements with staff.
- If you need to speak with a teacher regarding a personal issue or your child’s progress, please schedule a meeting with that teacher.
- Please silence your phone while on campus. If necessary, please step outside the classroom to use your phone to text or make phone calls.
- Due to confidentiality, please refrain from taking pictures and/or videos of students and staff.
- Confidentiality is a legal obligation. Do not discuss the academic or behavioral progress of any student with anyone, including the student’s parents.
- All disciplinary matters must be addressed by GUSD staff. If you observe any disciplinary situation, please notify a staff member immediately.
- Professional, school-appropriate dress is required.
- Minors are not allowed in the workroom.
- Children who are not Muir students may not be brought on campus with adults who are volunteering.
- Student restrooms may not be used by adults during school hours. Use the office restrooms.
- Staff Lounge is reserved for school staff only.
- Do not use machines unless you have been trained. If there is a problem, please don’t try to fix it yourself. Notify the office immediately.
- Priority should be given to staff for use of workroom equipment.