The Distinguished Scholars Academy is an academic recognition program at Hoover High School. Students may join if they have a 3.5 GPA or higher, take honors and/or AP classes in grades 10th-12th, complete volunteer hours & commit to college planning. Counselors serve as advisors for DSA.
Why join DSA?
If you meet the requirements, there are many reasons why you should join DSA. You will:
- Meet and get to work with like-minded students.
- Learn more collaboration, leadership, goal-setting skills, and more.
- Have more college and career preparation opportunities.
- Be in a school program which is an important part of your high school experience.
- Meet bi-weekly with your counselor at DSA meetings.
- Plan/participate in fundraisers.
- Complete volunteer hours to help your community.
- Hear college, career, and other guest speakers.
How do I become a member? General membership...
In general, students join DSA as an incoming freshman. The middle school GPA has to be at least 3.8 to join DSA as an incoming 9th grader. However, once the fall/spring semesters end, all students are required to maintain a 3.5 GPA or higher. Each year 10th graders must take ONE AP/Honors class or a combination thereof and 11th-12th graders are required to take TWO AP/Honors classes each year. Students also must complete volunteer hours. Counselors invite qualifying students to join. Email your counselor if you believe you qualify and would like to join.
What are the counselor's efforts?
Our efforts are to encourage DSA students to take a rigorous course of study, as well as to provide counseling, activities, and events that are designed to increase the college-going rates to a 4-year college directly from high school.
How do I maintain membership? Maintain a 3.5 GPA, take AP/Honors classes, complete community service hours, attend DSA meetings.
It is the counselor's discretion at each grade level to determine attendance requirements and additional activities.
- Maintain an overall final weighted GPA of 3.5 in high school. GPAs are checked at the end of each semester.
- Attend College Information events each semester and other Workshops.
- Participate in community service projects each year. TBD per COVID conditions.
- Attend college tours/field trips. TBD per COVID conditions.
- Have excellent citizenship, or you may be disqualified from DSA for discipline concerns.
- Attend the annual GUSD College and Career Fair.
- Each year 10th graders must take ONE AP/Honors class or a combination thereof and 11th-12th graders are required to take TWO AP/Honors classes each year.
Note: Counselors will check GPA every semester. Students must maintain a 3.5 GPA or higher and meet all other requirements to continue in DSA.