General Emergency Preparedness
In any emergency or natural disaster, our primary concern is for your children’s safety and peace of mind. Therefore, the faculty and staff annually reviews and updates Fremont’s Disaster Preparedness Plan. Student/parent reunification is the means for safe and orderly releasing of students to families in the event of an emergency evacuation or school closing after a disaster and a very important piece of our plan. Your support and cooperation are ESSENTIAL to its success.
Please study the following procedures, prepare for them and review applicable ones with your child(ren).
If an emergency strikes while your child is in school . . .
- Stay off the telephone! Communicating with the school via telephone after a disaster will prove difficult, if not impossible. If possible, we will make an all call to alert parents of the status of current situation.
- Tune in to local stations including radio stations KNX (AM1070) and KABC (AM790). Emergency information and updates related to schools will appear as soon as possible, on cable, Glendale Schools Education Channel (Channel 15) and City of Glendale Public Channel (Channel 6). The district will make every attempt to communicate accurate information to the media but cannot guarantee the accuracy of what goes on the air. If possible, the district will also post information and updates on the school district’s website. The address is: http://www.gusd.net
- After an emergency, students will be escorted to an emergency assembly area on the upper grass field. Faculty and staff will then begin the lengthy task of taking roll and accounting for all students, volunteers, faculty, and staff.
- We recommend walking to school to come and get your child(ren), if you are able. Traffic and parking will prove challenging. During an emergency, the traffic on Arlington will be limited to one-way and heading east.
- When arriving at school to pick up your child, come to the blue Request and Reunion gates on Paloma. Staff will allow ten parents at a time to come through the request gate to begin filling out request forms and showing identification. All parents and caregivers must present identification; no students will be released to unidentifiable adults. (During a disaster, if the Paloma gates are compromised, an alternate gate will be chosen, and if possible, signs posted to inform parents of the change.)
- If it is necessary for students to evacuate school due to an emergency, school staff will follow an orderly plan to make sure that each child is released at a specified location to a parent, relative, or other person designated by the parent on the emergency card. All parents and caregivers must present identification; no students will be released to unidentifiable adults.
- In case parent(s) are unable to pick up the child(ren) for a long time following the emergency, it is important for parents to know that students will remain at Fremont School or be housed at a central location under the careful supervision of the school staff until their arrival. Names of the transported students will be posted.
- Impress upon your child(ren) the need for them to follow directions of any school personnel. Throughout the year we will be having emergency drills to further prepare and assure the children. Thank you for helping us to keep your children safe.
Should you have any related questions, please do not hesitate to call the school at (818) 249-3241.