First Grade Mathematics
enVision Math Parent Letter Translations
Topic 1 Topic 2 Topic 3 Topic 4 Topic 5 Topic 6 Topic 7 Topic 8 Topic 9 Topic 10 Topic 11 Topic 12 Topic 13 Topic 14 Topic 15
California Common Core Content Standards
1st Grade Mathematics
Overview:First grade students extend their understanding of addition and subtraction by learning to use adding and subtracting to solve word problems within 20. They understand the meaning of the equal sign and are expected to count to 120. Place value knowledge is deepened and students use this knowledge to compare two-digit numbers within 100. Students practice their measurement skills with linear measurement and begin to organize data from surveys. Students also tell and write time in hours and half-hours using analog and digital clocks.
Specifically, your child will…
Operations and Algebraic Thinking
· Solve addition and subtraction word problems within 20
· Understand the relationship between addition and subtraction
· Apply the properties of operations
a. Commutative property of addition:
If you know 8 + 3 = 11, then you know 3 + 8 = 11.
b. Associative property of addition:
To add 2 + 6 + 4, the second two numbers can be
added to make a ten, so 2 + 6 + 4 = 2 + 10 = 12.
· Add and subtract within 20
Number and Base Ten Operations
· Count to 120, starting at any number
· Understand the meaning of the equal sign
· Understand place value: ones, tens
· Use place value to add and subtract within 100
Measurement and Data
· Measure lengths and tell the measurement in units
· Tell and write time
· Build and talk about a graph
Compare shapes by talking about sides, vertices, etc.
· Compare two-dimensional shapes to three-dimensional shapesEach link above takes you to the parent letter for the unit. The parent letter includes links to useful sites.