11th Grade To-Do List
What should I be doing in 11th grade to prepare for applying to college?
- Apply for a Social Security Number if you have not already done so.
- Develop a list of appropriate colleges for you.
- Be sure you are taking the correct courses for the college(s) of your choice.
- Visit colleges, investigate scholarship and financial aid programs.
- Write, e-mail, or visit web sites of colleges to request brochures and catalogs.
- Continue extracurricular activities.
- Take PSAT/NMSQT in October. National Merit Scholars are chosen only through this test.
- Check with the college websites to see if they recommend taking the SAT II Subject Tests
- for your particular major or for admission. If your good at a particular subject taking a Subject
- Test will only help you during admission.
- Take ACT or SAT I in May or June.
- Develop “brag sheets.”
- Participate in summer programs, read, visit colleges.
- Investigate scholarships for next year.
SUMMER AFTER JUNIOR YEAR:
- Visit college campuses and ask friends in college for their advice.
- Request applications and brochures from your top colleges.
- Get started on college and scholarship application essays by writing sample drafts.
- Take some time out to prepare for SAT I/SAT II or ACT.