Alternative Pathways to Graduation

  • Alternatives to High School Graduation

    Anyone wanting to complete high school and move on to college or a career may earn the
    equivalent of a high school diploma by either taking and passing the California High School
    Proficiency Examination (CHSPE) or the General Education Development test (GED). Both of these tests expect the ability to think about many issues. The candidates are tested on knowledge and skills you have acquired from life experiences and classroom instruction. Both demand strong reading and thinking skills, as well as, the ability to perform math computations with problem-solving skills.

    The California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE)
    This is a four-hour test that covers writing, English grammar, reading, and mathematics.  The exam is open to anyone 16 or older if they have completed the tenth grade or are enrolled in the second semester of tenth grade. Anyone under the age of 18 who passes the exam must have parental permission in order to leave school before regular graduation.  A Certificate of Proficiency is awarded by the California State Board of Education to those who pass the CHSPE. This certificate is legally equivalent to a high school diploma, but it is not a diploma.

    Copies of the registration booklet which contains more information and a sample test is
    available from the Counseling Office. You may also access the California Department of Education web site.

    The General Education Development Test (GED)
    This is a five-part test given once every month at the Adult Community Training Center. It covers science, social studies, literature & arts, mathematics, and writing.
    This exam is open to anyone who is 18 years old. For more information access the web site or contact the Adult
    Training Center at (818) 240-1000.