College Paths

  • Collegeboard
    Know How to


    It is important to remember that there are many paths to college, and that each student needs to find the best path for him or herself. Below you will find resources both here on campus and on the Web that provide information regarding this process.

    Where To Start

    • Our College and Career Center, Room 1147. See our College and Career Center Technician


    • Get to know your school counselor in our Counseling Office


    Most colleges require students to take classes beyond the regular graduation requirements. These are referred to as “a-g requirements” and are listed below:

    (a) History / Social Science – Two years, including one year of world history, cultures, and historical geography and one year of U.S. history or one-half year of U.S. history and one-half year of civics or American government.
    (b) English – Four years of college preparatory English that include frequent and regular writing, and reading of classic and modern literature.
    (c) Mathematics – Three years of college preparatory mathematics that include the topics covered in elementary and advanced algebra and two- and three-dimensional geometry.
    (d) Laboratory Science – Two years of laboratory science providing fundamental knowledge in at least two of these three disciplines: biology, chemistry, and physics.
    (e) Language Other Than English – Two years of the same language other than English.
    (f) Visual & Performing Arts – One year, including dance, drama/theater, music, or visual art.
    (g) College Preparatory Elective – One year (two semesters), chosen from additional “a-f” courses beyond those used to satisfy the requirements above, or courses that have been approved solely for use as “g” electives.

    Official Transcripts

    Official transcripts can be ordered from the Registrar, Ms. Lingat. They cost $3.00 and it takes a minimum of three days to process the request. There is no cost for the first two (2) unofficial transcripts, but any additional copies cost $1.00 each.

    Undocumented Students

    Undocumented students are not excluded from the college application or admission processes. Students may fall under the auspices of AB 540. California Assembly Bill 540, which was passed in October of 2001, allows undocumented students who meet the following requirements to pay resident tuition – instead of the much more costly nonresident tuition -- at public colleges and universities throughout the state (all campuses of the California Community Colleges, California State University and the University of California).


    • The student must have attended a high school in California for three or more academic years.
    • The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent of a high school diploma. (for example, passed the GED or California High School Proficiency Exam).
    • A student without immigration status must file an affidavit with the college or university stating that he or she has applied to legalize his or her status or will do so as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.

    In other words, for the purposes of tuition payment only, nonresidents who have attended and graduated from a California high school are considered residents.
    Please note:

    • All information provided by the student will be kept confidential by the college or university. 
    • Students with current non-immigrant visas (for example, tourist or student visas) are not eligible for this tuition exemption.
    • Students should keep in mind that this law only provides an exemption to the requirement to pay nonresident tuition at California public colleges and universities. The law does not provide any immigration benefits.