GUSD Enrollment for the 2020-2021 School Year
Welcome to the Glendale Unified School District where
we prepare our students for their future.
Our school sites remain physically closed at this time. We want to continue to welcome new GUSD students to the district through virtual enrollment. Please follow the steps below to start the process of virtually enrolling your student for the 2020-2021 school year:
Please note - If your child is a current GUSD student (TK-12) you do not need to enroll them through this process.
If you have already done the Pre-Enrollment AND Enrollment Survey
do not do them again, move on to STEP 3.
Complete online Pre-enrollment.
Complete the online Enrollment Survey.
Print and complete the Enrollment packet for your student. Printed copies are available in the front lobby of the District Office. The security guard will be able to give you one.
You will be contacted by the school site within 5 days.
After you hear from the site you will be asked to drop-off or mail the documents below to the District Office. Please do not send until you hear from the school site.
To enroll you will need to submit the following documentation:
1. Completed enrollment packet.
2. Legal proof of Age (birth certificate, passport, baptismal certificate)
3. Proof of Residency:
You must provide at least two of the following: 1. Current and original utility bill which is no more than two months old. (If you are providing two utility bills they must be from two separate utility companies.); 2. escrow papers showing closing date; 3. rental agreement; 4. most current property tax payment receipt; 5. most recent pay stub; 6. current voter registration receipt; 7. communication from a government agency dated no more than three months ago.
Please see enrollment packet for required immunizations and other medical documents to attach. If your child does not have all the required immunizations at the time of enrollment, packets he or she will be ‘conditionally’ enrolled but proof of all missing immunizations will be required before the start of the 20-21 school year.
5. Picture ID of Parent or Guardian enrolling the student (Driver’s License or passport)
6. Court documents if there are custodial/legal bindings related to the child.
7. If your child has an IEP with another district, a copy of his or her latest IEP.
8. Transcripts from previous school for students entering grades 9th - 12th.
*Please drop off the entire packet and documents to the secure box in the District Office. We will then forward your enrollment packet and documents to the school site. Please make sure your child’s name, grade level and the name of the school are on the envelope.
Office of Student Support Services
Glendale Unified School District
223 North Jackson Street
Glendale, CA 91206
Please mail via USPS or you may enter the building to drop-off the packet in the marked bin, but please know that no office visits are allowed at this time. The school site will contact you once the enrollment packet and documents are received.
IF YOUR STUDENT IS ALREADY ENROLLED AT A GUSD SCHOOL, YOU DO NOT NEED TO ENROLL AGAIN.
Per Board Policy 5115, your child may be reassigned at another Glendale school due to class size and space availability. For “capped” students, Student Support Services shall maintain a waiting list in priority order for students wanting entry into their school of residence and will notify parent or guardian when an opening occurs during the school year. You will be notified of your student’s placement through phone call and/or email. We do everything we can to avoid moving students, but there are times it is necessary due to space limitations.
The registration process will not be completed until all forms are submitted. A child is to be registered for school only at the school in their area of residence, at the time of registration, unless the child has been accepted into a Magnet School or Dual Immersion Program. Please check, in advance, to be sure of the school attendance area in which you reside. Please notify the school if your child will not be in attendance before the first day of school.
Only parents or legal guardians are allowed to register students. It is not necessary to bring your child(ren) with you for the registration appointment. Legal guardians must bring valid court documents to prove their relationship to the student(s).
We encourage parents to complete the registration process as soon as possible. Space is available on a first come, first served basis. In cases where classrooms become overcrowded, students will be assigned to other Glendale Unified School District schools to meet the requirements of California law.
2020-2021 Registration Requirements:
- To enter Transitional Kindergarten during the 20-21 school year, a child must be five (5) years old on or between September 2, 2020 and December 2, 2020.
- To enter Kindergarten during the 20-21 school year, a child must be five (5) years old on or before September 1, 2020.
- To enter 1st Grade during the 20-21 school year, a child must be six (6) years old on or before September 1, 2020.
- To enter all other grade levels, a child will be placed in the appropriate grade level based on date of birth, prior school attendance, and district guidelines.
- PROOF OF AGE - An original birth certificate is the primary source of proof of age. Other documents are also acceptable, for example: passport, baptism certificate, hospital certificate.
- UP-TO-DATE PROOF OF IMMUNIZATION - For Polio, DPT (Diphtheria, Pertussis, and Tetanus), MMR (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella), Hepatitis B, Varicella (Chickenpox), TDAP (for grade 7 and higher).
- PROOF OF RESIDENCY– Any two of the following: 1. Current and original utility bill which is no more than two months old. (If you are providing two utility bills they must be from two separate utility companies.); 2. escrow papers showing closing date; 3. rental agreement; 4. most current property tax payment receipt; 5. most recent pay stub; 6. current voter registration receipt; 7. communication from a government agency dated no more than three months ago.
- HEALTH EXAMINATION- A health examination is required by State Law for first grade students. This health check-up is recommended at the Transitional Kindergarten and Kindergarten levels but not earlier than 18 months before admission to the first grade.
- DENTAL EXAMINATION – A dental examination is required by State Law for Transitional Kindergarten and Kindergarten on first school entry. This assessment may be done within 12 months prior to admission to Kindergarten, but not later than May 31 following school admission.