Apply to a GUSD FLAG Program
GUSD FLAG programs require an application. Students are selected each year by a random lottery. The application window for the 2019-20 school year was November 1, 2018 through January 31, 2019. Certain grades require language proficiency testing.
Only eligible applications submitted during the application window will be included in the 2019-2020 lottery. All late applicants will be placed on a waiting list. The lottery drawing will be held on February 13, 2019 at 10:00 am at the district office.
To apply for one of GUSD's FLAG programs, visit GUSDMagnetandFlag.com.
Application, selection, and enrollment process for students applying to a FLAG dual immersion program.
For translation please click on a language below:
Armenian | Korean | Spanish
1. FLAG program school tours are strongly encouraged for at least one, if not all, of your choices. Virtual tours for some languages are available on the website. If your child is selected for a program at which you have not toured, you may be asked to complete a tour prior to finalization of enrollment.
2. To apply to a FLAG program, fill out the on-line application. If you do not have internet access, you may complete the application at any one of the schools that offer a FLAG program or at the GUSD Office of Student Support Services, 223 N. Jackson St. Room 203. Staff members and translators are available to assist.
3. Print the verification receipt for your records and check to make sure the demographic information, grade level and program choices are correct. Demographic changes may be made online by the applicant, however, any changes in program selection must be made by contacting Student Support Services at 818 241-3111 ext. 1283.
4. If an applicant speaks the target language of the FLAG program, the applicant may be assessed for language fluency which will determine which eligibility the child's application will be placed in for the lottery. A representative will schedule a time for the child to have a language assessment if requested.
5. If a new applicant is applying to a FLAG program in any grade other than kindergarten he/she must be fluent in the target language of instruction. Additional language assessment/testing may be required to determine eligibility.
6. Once your application is received and processed by the GUSD Office of Student Support Services, you will receive a receipt verification email stating the applicant's eligibility for the random student selection. (If no email is provided, the applicant will be contacted by phone.) Any changes in program selection must be made by contacting the offices of Student Support Services at 818 241-3111 ext. 1237.
7. Applications received after the deadline will not be eligible for the random student selection, but will be placed at the end of the appropriate waiting list(s) according to their priority group status.
8. The random student selection is open to the public and will be held at the Glendale Unified School District Board of Education at 223 N. Jackson Street, Glendale.
9. Results will be emailed to all applicants following the random student selection or contacted by phone if no email address is provided.
10. Following notification of admission to a FLAG program, a district-required enrollment packet must be completed and returned to the school within 3 weeks of receipt. Admission to a FLAG program is not confirmed until the enrollment packet is complete and approved by the school, this includes all permit requirements, as applicable.
11. In addition to the enrollment packet, students selected by the random selection process from outside GUSD must receive a release from their district of residence in order to complete the enrollment procedures which includes obtaining a release from my home district. Inter-district permits are subject to space/capacity at schools, grade levels, and specialized programs.
12. If selected applicants do not complete the enrollment packet within the 3 week period, their application will become ineligible. Forfeited spaces will be given to the next applicant on the waiting list.