College View School, a public school in the Glendale Unified School District, was opened in 1977 to provide special education services to an extraordinary group of students. Through the Foothill Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA), College View provides services to students in Glendale, Burbank, and La Cañada including specialized instruction in functional academics, life skills, communication, socialization, and motor skills. Our classrooms serve students ranging in age from 3 to 22 with severe intellectual and physical disabilities.
Placement at College View School is by virtue of the Individual Education Plan process. We specialize in addressing the communication, independence and safety needs of our students and we take pride in knowing each individual student and preparing them for the next stage in their education. We evaluate each student’s ability to integrate into a less restrictive setting and assist them in transitioning whenever possible.
Thanks to the generosity of our Glendale, Montrose and La Crescenta communities, through Measure S funds, our school was completely redesigned. Our new state of the art building opened in July 2015. Specialized features of building and instructional program include:
- Adaptive seating and mobility equipment
- Instructional kitchen and laundry room
- Engaging and accessible playground
- Collaborative therapy team including speech therapist, occupational therapist, vision specialist and physical therapist
- Weekly therapy dog visits
- Colorful way-finding throughout the educational environment
- Indoor heated therapy pool
- Full-time school nurse
- Therapy Gym