California State Standards (formerly Common Core SS)
The Common Core State Standards initiative (CCSS) was a collaboration by various stake-holders to create problem-solving individuals who use reliable information to make decisions. These individuals are ready for college and career, and to compete in the global marketplace.
These standards were adopted by the state of California in the spring of 2013. The shift in curricular instruction occurs gradually over the next three years in all grades and content areas.
The teamwork between parents, students and teachers is crucial in supporting the development of critical thinking and application of knowledge to real-world scenarios.
What Parents Can Do
- Stay positive! Remember, EVERY KID CAN DO IT!
- Encourage problem-solving by offering options rather than solutions.
- Have students explain their thinking to you.
- Encourage challenging reading, especially of non-fiction texts.
- Engaging Your Student's Thinking (PDF)
Use this handout to engage your children in conversation and encouraging learning.
- Skills for 21st Century Learning (PDF)
Helping with Homework: A Parent Resource