Team HandBall Study Guide
- An official game is played six on six, with each team also having a goalie. In class, we will typically play three on three or four on four. We play with less players since our courts are smaller and this allows for more space to move.
- The ball is leather, however the ones we play with are rubber, very soft, and able to bounce very high.
- The game is played with 2, 30 minute halves. In class, we will play 8-10 minute games before rotating.
- Once a goal is scored the goalie immediately pulls the ball out of the goal and can continue play. The play is not stopped.
- Passive play – It is illegal to keep the ball without making an attempt to score. You are not allowed to stall.
- Scoring – A goal is scored when the entire ball crosses the goal line.
- A player is allowed to run with the ball for three steps without dribbling.
- A player is allowed to hold onto the ball for three dribbles.
- A player is not allowed to push or endanger another player.
- You may not pull, hit, or punch the ball out of the hands of the opponent.
- You may steal a dribble or pass from an opponent.
- You may not make contact below the knee, or trip an opponent.
- If you foul a player that is shooting or jumping into the Goalie Zone, the team is awarded a penalty throw.
- This area is reserved for the goalie only. Another player may not enter the zone.
- If a defensive player goes into the goalie zone, a penalty throw is awarded to the offense.
- If an offensive player goes into the goalie zone, it is a turnover.
- An offensive player may jump from outside the zone, but must shoot the ball before he/she lands inside the goalie zone.