EARLY COLLEGE ACADEMY @ HOOVER HIGH SCHOOL
Parents and Guardians, are you starting a conversation with your students about college?
Or other potential pathways after high school?
Students, are you thinking about attending college? Why not start now?
WHAT IS THE EARLY COLLEGE ACADEMY?
The Early College Academy (ECA) is a one-of-a-kind opportunity for your students to complete college-level courses while in high school.
Glendale Community College (GCC) has partnered with Hoover High School (HHS) and designed the ECA program to help HHS students get a head start on their college education by taking college classes during the regular school day. ECA students will be able to earn both a high school diploma and complete two-years of college in the time it takes to go to high school- saving the student both time and money.
The college classes are offered at HHS for sophomore (10th) junior (11th grade) and senior (12th grade) students. The program is free at absolutely no cost to students. Most college credits earned through the program can be applied toward earning an AA/AS degree at GCC or used when transferring to a university. Students may apply directly to a 4-year college if they choose to do so. Sample schedule:
BENEFITS OF ECA
- Students can take college classes at HHS during their school day
- Free for students, and it will potentially help families reduce the cost of college in the future
- College credit earned will apply towards earning an AA/AS degree at GCC
- Gives students a head start on their college education
- Supported by an HHS teacher
- ECA courses are taught by GCC professors and are of identical rigor and content to courses taught at the college campus
- ECA courses are a part of the IGETC program at GCC
- Guaranteed transferable to any UC or CSU school
- GCC provides counseling and assessment services for students
- Each student has an educational plan that outlines the courses they will take
- Potential Savings for 1 year of Community College tuition only = $1,326
- Potential Savings for 1 year of CSU tuition only = $6,870
- Potential Savings for 1 year of UC tuition only = $15,514
- Potential Savings for 1 year of Private School tuition only = $45,000 +
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
Students who are/have:
- Committed to Hoover HS
- Committed to Glendale College
- Interested in taking college courses
- Hardworking & give it their all
- Motivated to learn
- Planning to attend college
- GPA 2.4 and above
- Good attendance and discipline as college policies apply
HOW CAN MY STUDENT APPLY?
Freshmen (9th grade) can apply to be a part of this program for their sophomore year by applying online. The ECA application's due date has been extended to April 15, 2022. Go to glendale.edu/eca to apply.
Want more information?
Watch the ECA video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohGVhI4b-ik&t=8s
Read the ECA PowerPoint: https://www.glendale.edu/home/showpublisheddocument?id=40744